New DVD -- Masumura's Kyojin to gangu

Jasper Sharp jasper_sharp at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 1 03:43:29 EST 2002

Images release of Blind Beast is region 1 encoded, as it doesnt play on my
laptop.

As regards to the significance of Masumura, Id say hes very significant,
making over a hundred films under contract for Daiei, many featuring Daiei
starlet Ayako Wakao. Oshima was very influenced by him in the early days of
the New Wave, and the films of his that i have seen have never failed to
impress. For more info, you might want to look at midnight eye for reviews
of Red Angel and Blind Beast. I cant wait to see his other films.
True, its very sad that Mizoguchi, Ozu, and Kurosawa releases are under
represented in terms of Eng subbed versions, though Francophones should
check out releases on amazon.fr. However, just because these directors
caught on in the west, it is not to say that there arent other directors
worthy of attention. Hopefully one day the later works of Teinosuke
Kinugasa, and lesser known directors such as Kei Kumai, Mitsuo Yanagimachi,
Susumu Hani, Shinoda, Mori Issei and a host of others will be made available
to us in Eng lang versions. Until then, we should at least be happy that new
stuff that has never been significantly distributed outside of Japan is
actually coming out.

Jasper Sharp

Midnight Eye
www.midnighteye.com