DVD News

Stephen Cremin asianfilmlibrary at mac.com
Fri Feb 1 17:20:01 EST 2002

Haven't seen Yaguchi Shinobu's DOWN THE DRAIN since 1993 but if memory
serves it's stronger than his ADRENALINE DRIVE in the black comedy
stakes with Serigawa Saori playing the girl for whom everything possible
goes wrong.  I'm also fond of rent-boy-coming-of-ager A TOUCH OF FEVER
which is not just the feature debut of director Hashiguchi after shorts
THE BOY'S WHISTLE and THE SECRET OF LAST NIGHT, but also introduced us
to Kataoka Reiko and Hakamada Yoshihiko.  Latter is almost
unrecognisable in Hisaishi Jo's QUARTET in what is essentially a sports
genre movie relocated to the world of classical music from the producers
of EKIDEN and FIRST LOVE.  VISITOR Q is one to avoid at all costs unless
your initials are TM.  Morita's SOROBANZUKU, also known as ALL FOR
BUSINESS' SAKE stars Ishibashi Takaaki, Yasuda Narumi and Sabu.  Variety
reviewed it on 23-09-1987, but don't have that issue to hand.
Presumably a detective story.    Mihara's film is another in the Love
Cinema series, known in English as AMEN, SO-MEN AND RUGGER MEN starring
Okochi Nanako.  As is Hiroki's TOKYO TRASH BABY with Nakamura Mami,
Suzuki Kazuma and Shibasaki Ko.  Nomura's film, THE CASTLE OF SAND,
dates from 1974, starring Tanba Tetsuro and Shimada Yoko.  Yakushiji
Mitsuyuki's BAKUMATSU: JUNJO-DEN doesn't have an official English
title.  It dates from 1991 and stars Ibu Masato (who seems to like to be
called Eve Masato recently!), Emoto Akira, Sugimoto Tetta and Makise
Riho.

Not sure how many of these you'd want to own at Japanese DVD prices.

Stephen