A Question about Kinugasa's "A Crazy Page"

Jasper Sharp jasper_sharp
Fri Feb 8 00:32:12 EST 2002

Remember as well that any "original" print is based on the one that Kinugasa
re-discovered in 1971 and prepared for its re-release. As this new version
featured a soundtrack, this meant changing the projection speed from the
original 20 f/s to 24 f/s. The addition of a soundtrack on the print also
crops some of the picture. In addition to this, Mariann Lewinsky notes that
this print also is about 500 meters shorter than the length listed for the
original 1926 release, so who knows what footage went missing when Kinugasa
prepared this new version. All I know is that viewing KI now is a very
different experience than it would have been on its original 1926 release,
with its benshi narration (yes there was!) and live orchestra .