Berlinale films

knoerer at gmx.net knoerer at gmx.net
Wed Jan 23 07:19:45 EST 2002

Hi,

first of all a short introduction, as this is my first posting to the list:
I'm the editor of the independent German online movie magazine
Jump Cut (www.jump-cut.de, no connection to the American print
magazine with the same name) and have recently begun to orient
Jump Cut decidedly towards Asian cinema. Reviews of Japanese
films and portraits of Japanese directors can be found at www.jump-
cut.de/japan.html (only in German, alas).

I have had the chance to see three Japanese Panorama films in a
press screening. Here's what I think:

All About Lily Chou-Chou, Shunji Iwai's latest, is a challenging (and
with 146 minutes definitely too long), but ultimately fascinating
mixture of teen drama, pop music and internet chat - the most
surprising thing about it is that it *does* mix, quite seamlessly
even.
(German review: www.jump-cut.de/filmkritik-
allaboutlilychouchou.html)

A painful pair (by Hisashi Saito, whoever that is) is just stupid
nonsensical crap. Its premise: a newly wed couple feels each
other's hurts and bruises. Nothing whatsoever follows from the
premise; the direction is amateurish.

Hideo Nakta's (The Ring) latest, Dark Waters, is another horror
film, far more conventional this time, an attempt at horror
classicism, one could say, but completely unoriginal and quite a
disappointment.
(German review: www.jump-cut.de/filmkritik-darkwaters.html)

Just my 2 cents, of course,

Ekkehard Knoerer