Koroshiya Ichi/Ichi The Killer

Tom Mes china_crisis at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 25 10:55:36 EST 2002

It's an interesting point that Aaron Gerow made about critics
"appropriating" Miike and this perceived need to establish him as
representative of current Japanese cinema.

As many of you will probably be aware, we have done a fair bit of writing
about Miike and his films at Midnight Eye. While I certainly don't see him
(or any individual director) as representative for current Japanese cinema,
I do feel he is one of the most exciting filmmakers currently working in
Japan. As Aaron states, his work is remarkably consistent, which is even
more remarkable for the fact that he makes an average of 4-5 films a year
and, as stated, works with many different scriptwriters (though the same
names tend to crop up in recent years: Masa Nakamura, Ichiro Ryu, Itaru
Era).

As for appropriation for personal gain (in a certain sense), there will
always be people directly or indirectly related to filmmaking who will jump
on the bandwagon of whatever is popular/fashionable/etc. This is certainly
not unique to Miike's current popularity. What I find more interesting is
that over the past few months, I have been noticing the opposite effect:
people trying themselves from his films by questioning the artistic merits
of Miike's work, writing him off as little more than a guy who makes
(violent) entertainment and who has little to say beyond that. I get the
feeling that some of these people are eager to distance themselves from the
"cult" audience that has so wholeheartedly embraced Miike over the past year
or so.

I certainly agree that the surface portrayal of vice, violence and viscera
in his films can put people off of really looking at his films and what they
say. In that sense, Miike is maybe not doing himself any favours. Also, it's
a fact that only a very small percentage of his films has made it to
international audiences. Even some of Kinejapan's regular contributors say
they've only seen a handful at most.

Those who have had the chance to see a representative amount of his work,
like mr. Gerow, can't fail to notice the consistency in his themes, motifs
and concerns. I have currently managed to see between 25 and 30 of his
films, some multiple times, and the merits of his work are evident. I've
read some of Aaron Gerow's writing on Miike's films and he makes very
interesting observations. Unfortunately a number of them have to my
knowledge never appeared in English (like the essay he wrote for the Miike
retro in Courmayeur in 99), so some very valuable insights are not easily
available for many of us (I found the Italian version of the Courmayeur
essay online and translated it bit by bit using a translation site - not the
most comfortable way to read it, but I managed in the end).

Hopefully more writing will appear on Miike in years to come, whose writers
will hopefully take some distance from yes/no debates and "cult" hype and
offer valid insights into a body of work which I truly believe to be one of
the most, interesting and challenging in Japan today (without hailing it as
representative, of course ;) ).

Tom Mes

Midnight Eye
http://www.midnighteye.com