Koroshiya Ichi/Ichi The Killer

Mark Nornes amnornes
Fri Jan 25 09:53:35 EST 2002

I'm less interested in Miike's "cult value", which is more accurately
discussed in terms of auteur criticism when you consider most of the
writing itself. This is quite different stuff than typical fan
discourse, say around Godzilla or most anime. There is much more in
common with Wakamatsu and the way he was written about in the 1960s and
especially in 1970s early 80s English language criticism (now, too to
some degree). What is most interesting to me is the way that Miike and
other directors working in violent body genres are woven into
constructions of  "Japanese Cinema Now." Wakamatsu did get festival
showings for a few of his films, but it's nothing like Miike or other
directors working in relatively low budget, genre cinema or even
straight to video. I am wondering what this says about WHO is
constructing our collective image of Japanese Cinema Now, and whether
this is a different crowd than before, and why has it changed.

markus