film title from description

Greg E Shepherd shep at hawaii.edu
Sun Jan 27 23:48:55 EST 2002

Does the following description of a plot fragment ring a bell in anyone's
mind as to the title of the following? Years ago I saw a film that was set
back in samurai days. The main character was a young woman from the
country who was tiring of village life and planting/harvesting rice. A
"mysterious stranger" comes to the village and she falls in love with him.
They go away, fight (I think), and...cut to the chase, she comes back to
the village. The final scene of the movie shows her planting rice in the
paddy and hers is the loudest voice singing the folk song they are all
singing. It's as if she's trying to drown out the memories of the man she
had fallen in love with. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I know it's
not that obscure a movie, I just can't for the life of me remember the
title. Thanks so much.
Greg