TOKYO G.P./Freeze Me

Don Brown the8thsamurai
Sun Jan 27 23:07:10 EST 2002

>Has anyone seen this Takashi Ishii film? I was unaware of its existence,
>yet alone its release on DVD until yesterday, and am curious to know
>more.

Nope, have not caught this "music violence movie" (as the website dubs it)
yet but have seen it around (was only released on DVD and video a few
months ago).  Seems to revolve around a chase for a teddy bear (?) by a
bunch of road-racing gangsta types who must find and deliver it by dawn to
a woman waiting on the observation deck of Tokyo Tower.  If they fail to do
so, a friend's girlfriend will be killed or sold.  Has an interesting cast
headed by rapper Zeebra and hardcore rocker Hiro, and also featuring Claude
Maki, DJ Bryan Burton Lewis and shootfighter Ensen Inoue.  Guns, cars and
musicians-cum-actors - a Japanese version of "The Fast And The Furious"
perhaps?
Official website (in Japanese only):
http://www.kss-movie.com/tokyo-gp/index.html

>Incidentally, Ishii's FREEZE ME is now playing theatrically in HK,

Interesting news in light of the recent discussion over Koroshiya Ichi.  I
remember discussing this one with Michael Arnold a while back, having had a
similar reaction to this film when I saw it on video.  Not sure what the
motivations are for giving this one a (belated) theatrical release.
Don Brown
http://www.geocities.com/the8thsamurai