Kawase et al

Aaron Gerow gerow at ynu.ac.jp
Tue Jan 29 22:58:13 EST 2002

Livia,

>Questions to KineJapaners and Aaron,Mark,etc.
>1)Is Kawase Naomi's Hotaru available on DVD,video ?if yes,where and how
>can it
>be purchased (cdjapan,other sites?)

I have not seen the DVD out, but I'm not sure if the rental VHS has been
released yet.  Anyone?

>2)What was the reception of Kawase's A Kyakaraba(some letters missing in the
>title?) in France and elsewhere?

There were some earlier discussions of this on the list.  It seems that
foreign reception has been pretty good while most of the people I know in
Japan were disappointed with it.  It has yet to be released in Japan,
though.

>3)Kawase's novelizations of Moe no Suzaku and Hotaru(Gentosha),any
>criticisms,reactions?

Kawase told me that the novelization of Suzaku sold quite well (70,000
copies, if I remember correctly--quite good for new literature) and even
went into bunko form.  I have not heard about sales for Hotaru or about
criticial reaction for either.

>4)Any recent articles on Kawase,and Wada Junko in Japanese and/or other
>languages anyone can recommend??Unfortunately,Kinejun ,Eureka,Shinario,other
>Japanese film journals are not available here.

The most extensive writing on Kawase in Japan has been by Yomota Inuhiko,
especially in his Nihon eiga no rajikaru na .... Kawase is not strongly
supported by the critical establishment here.  But the official pamphlets
to her films feature some of the "in" people: Tawara Machi, Yoshimoto
Banana, etc.

Keiko McDonald has a piece on Suzaku in Postscript (Fall 1998).

Roberta Novielli is now preparing a retrospective of Kawase for the
Infinity Festival in Alba, Italy, and the catalog includes articles by
Roberta, Yomota, and myself (Roberta can correct me or add some more if
she wants).

For Wada Junko, there's not much in English, I imagine, except the paper
I gave (or, more precisely, which Markus read for me!) at the Colorado
symposium a while ago. For Japanese articles, there's always searching
Image Forum and its catalogs.

>5)Aaron,you posted recently your review of Wada Junko's Body Drop
>Asphalt(which
>I found really interesting).Could you indicate the date and place of
>publication (Yomiuri?)of the article ?

I don't have it here in the office, but I'm pretty sure it appeared in
the August 8, 2001, Daily Yomiuri.

Aaron Gerow
Associate Professor
International Student Center