Kawase et al

Rodica-Livia Monnet rodica-livia.monnet at UMontreal.CA
Wed Jan 30 19:44:02 EST 2002

Thanks to Aaron and the other Kinejapaners for the suggestions.Is there a
possibility to order the Kawase Retrospective catalogue to be released at Alba
at the Infinity festival?I would appreciate Roberta's input.Thanks.LM En
réponse à Aaron Gerow <gerow at ynu.ac.jp>:

> Livia,
>
> >Questions to KineJapaners and Aaron,Mark,etc.
> >1)Is Kawase Naomi's Hotaru available on DVD,video ?if yes,where and how
>
> >can it
> >be purchased (cdjapan,other sites?)
>
> I have not seen the DVD out, but I'm not sure if the rental VHS has been
>
> released yet.  Anyone?
>
> >2)What was the reception of Kawase's A Kyakaraba(some letters missing
> in the
> >title?) in France and elsewhere?
>
> There were some earlier discussions of this on the list.  It seems that
>
> foreign reception has been pretty good while most of the people I know
> in
> Japan were disappointed with it.  It has yet to be released in Japan,
> though.
>
> >3)Kawase's novelizations of Moe no Suzaku and Hotaru(Gentosha),any
> >criticisms,reactions?
>
> Kawase told me that the novelization of Suzaku sold quite well (70,000
>
> copies, if I remember correctly--quite good for new literature) and even
>
> went into bunko form.  I have not heard about sales for Hotaru or about
>
> criticial reaction for either.
>
> >4)Any recent articles on Kawase,and Wada Junko in Japanese and/or other
>
> >languages anyone can recommend??Unfortunately,Kinejun
> ,Eureka,Shinario,other
> >Japanese film journals are not available here.
>
> The most extensive writing on Kawase in Japan has been by Yomota
> Inuhiko,
> especially in his Nihon eiga no rajikaru na .... Kawase is not strongly
>
> supported by the critical establishment here.  But the official
> pamphlets
> to her films feature some of the "in" people: Tawara Machi, Yoshimoto
> Banana, etc.
>
> Keiko McDonald has a piece on Suzaku in Postscript (Fall 1998).
>
> Roberta Novielli is now preparing a retrospective of Kawase for the
> Infinity Festival in Alba, Italy, and the catalog includes articles by
>
> Roberta, Yomota, and myself (Roberta can correct me or add some more if
>
> she wants).
>
> For Wada Junko, there's not much in English, I imagine, except the paper
>
> I gave (or, more precisely, which Markus read for me!) at the Colorado
>
> symposium a while ago. For Japanese articles, there's always searching
>
> Image Forum and its catalogs.
>
> >5)Aaron,you posted recently your review of Wada Junko's Body Drop
> >Asphalt(which
> >I found really interesting).Could you indicate the date and place of
> >publication (Yomiuri?)of the article ?
>
> I don't have it here in the office, but I'm pretty sure it appeared in
>
> the August 8, 2001, Daily Yomiuri.
>

> Aaron Gerow
> Associate Professor
> International Student Center
> Yokohama National University
> 79-1 Tokiwadai
> Hodogaya-ku, Yokohama 240-8501
> JAPAN
> E-mail: gerow at ynu.ac.jp
> Phone: 81-45-339-3170
> [...]

Rodica-Livia Monnet
Département de littérature comparée/Dept.of Comparative Literature
University of Montreal,C.P.6128,Succ.Centre Ville
Montreal,QC,H3C 3J7,Canada
Tel.514-343-6340,Fax 514-343-2211
Email: rodica-livia.monnet at umontreal.ca