Introduction

Max V. Dionisio dionisio
Tue Jan 8 10:53:46 EST 2002

Rayna,
    Sounds like a great project, I've noticed some odd insertions in the
American version of Mononokehime in particular the part where the monkeys
say they want to eat the people living in the ironworks. In both versions
the monkeys say that eating human flesh will give them the human's power
(totemism). San in the Japanese version replies that, that is not so.
However, in the English version she goes on a smaller rant saying that it
will turn them into something less than human. This little addition is
not in the Japanese language version and is an interesting little aside
should you wish to do something on animism vs. totemism. As to the
Miyazaki-Disney research that stemmed from my readings of a philosopher,
Charles Peirce and his ideas on a system of signification based on three
parts and not Sasussure's two. I know I am looking at how animated images
relate to reality using Eco's hyperrealism as the mediating agent, but am
still working on the structual linguistics thing. Its a new area of study
for me as I, for a long time, before taking on animation studies, was
doing work in Japanese esoteric Buddhism and 10th century Buddhist texts.
I hope this was helpful and I would love to continue this discussion!

Max Dionisio
University of Pennsylvania
Department of Asian and Middle Eastern Studies

Rayna Denison wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am also doing some research on Miyazaki. I'm doing my PhD at Nottingham, and am specifically looking at the Japanese and American releases of Mononoke Hime.
>
> I was wondering about your research topic. You say that the Miyazaki-Disney comparison does not hold water, and I completely agree with you. You seem to be taking quite a structuralist stance - looking at semiotics etc - I was wondering what you are hop
ing this particular stance will illuminate.