New York Times and Sen to Chihiro

david mankins dm
Tue Jan 8 17:50:48 EST 2002

We're veering off-topic here.

   Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 16:35:01 -0600
   From: "Mark Anderson" <ander025 at umn.edu>

   >    .... This kind of thing couldn't go on for five minutes without
   >    deep editorial complicity and ignorance and would be unimaginable
   >    regarding most other countries.....
   >
   > Oh, it's imaginable, all right.  I suspect France, England, and
   > perhaps Italy are the only countries that are likely to escape such
   > treatment at the hands of _Times_' correspondents.

The reason I think these three countries might escape this sort of
careless reporting is that the editors and readers of the _Times_ are
more likely to be familiar with them and to catch the sort of errors
we're criticizing in the _Sen to Chihiro_ article (and no, I don't
expect reporting on Canada is likely better than reporting on Japan).

To justify this post, I have a question about the article's openning
paragraph (talking about how _Sen_ trumps _Harry_).  Didn't the Potter
movie's opening weekend out-sell _Sen_'s opening weekend?