Cancelled shows

Ono Seiko and Aaron Gerow onogerow at angel.ne.jp
Fri Jul 5 08:51:50 EDT 2002

Seems someone called this list stupid after the original message I
posted, so it makes me nervous posting again on the same subject. But
being interested in all forms of censorship--and these cancellations were
both cases of censorship, good and bad--I can't help but update people on
the Ultraman Cosmos affair.

After the lead actor playing Cosmos was arrested, Mainichi Hoso quickly
cancelled the popular series. They broadcast two more shows to use up
some remaining footage and tie up some narrative loose ends, but the
results were bizarre. How do you do a hero show without seeing the guy
who transforms into the hero? It was like some cinema under authoritarian
regimes: everyone, in the diegesis and the audience, knew this person was
present, but he wasn't shown at all.  Shochiku, which has been
advertising the movie version for months, decided to release it after
editing out this person's face.

But then something bizarre happened. The "victim" in the case recanted
and the police, left without a case, had to let the actor go without
indicting him. (As usual with Japanese police, they refused to admit they
were wrong and argued that the actor had really done something wrong, but
"since an agreement had been reached with the victim," they let him go.
The lawyers for the actor said that statement was false and constitutes
defamation and they are planning to sue the police.) The actor's talent
agency is livid and blaming the police for ruining the guy's career and
the wideshows, which have been reporting this case a lot, have a lot of
commentators (like film director Izuchi Kazuyuki) claiming the police
"tread over the human rights of the actor and trampled the dreams of
millions of Japanese children." Mainichi Hoso says they are now
investigating whether to revive the show.

The case says a lot about the police (heck, it took them a year and half
to process the original complaint and still got it wrong), but it also
raises questions about self-censorship (was the network acting too soon
on a case where there hadn't even been an indictment?), the perceived
moral context surrounding the televisual text (one small, unjustified
arrest and the show is cancelled), the relationship between text and
reality and star and text, and about the consumerist context of the image
text (the arrest affecting not only the show but the huge Ultraman toy
and product industry).

Can anyone think of similar cases?

Just a disclaimer: My son is an Ultraman Cosmos fan. (I prefer Ultra
Seven myself.)

Aaron Gerow
Associate Professor
Yokohama National University