Remaking on TV

Aaron Gerow gerow
Mon Jul 8 02:07:03 EDT 2002

Did anyone happen to catch the television remake of Ozu's Tokyo Story on
Saturday? Since I was busy writing, I only watched about half of it, but
that was enough to give me a sufficiently bizarre experience. A film I
have seen over 10 times now reappears with the same characters, different
actors, same dialogue (in places), but completely different style. It was
of course updated for the new century (e.g., Hara Setsuko's character was
played by Matsu Takako and her husband died in Nigeria while serving in
an NGO, not during the war). Watching it reminded me of Hasumi's
stipulation that Ozu is an emotional director because he is utterly
unemotional. The TV version was emotional because it used all the same
old stylistic tricks to be emotional (the worst part being when, after
the mother's death, all the children find albums the mother made of their
childhood, and thus regret how bad they'd been to mom. Ozu would never
steep to such melodramatic tricks.) An interesting text for understanding
TV stylistics.

And just when I thought I recovered from that, one of TBS's drama for
this season is none other than Taiyo no kisetsu, a contemporary remaking
of Ishihara Shintaro's novel, the first film adaptation of which
propelled Ishihara Yujiro to stardom.

Aaron Gerow
Associate Professor
International Student Center