geki eiga vs. bunka eiga?

Akiko Takenaka-O'Brien akiko_tob at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 27 17:12:42 EDT 2002

Hi,
I'm a perpetual lurker and a Ph.D. candidate at Yale University writing a
dissertation on wartime Japanese culture. I am currently looking at war
related newsreels from the 1930s, and came across a description like this:
newsreels were usually shown with "geki eiga," or by itself at "nyusu
eigakan," but were occasionally shown with "bunka eiga" at places such as
Shochiku Bunka Eiga Gekijo. (from an essay by Takeyama Akiko in _Senjiki
Nihon no media ibento_). Am I correct in assuming that "geki eiga" is
fiction/drama movies and "bunka eiga" is documentary type? What kind of
films were shown at the Shochiku Bunka Eiga Gekijo?
Any thoughts appreciated.
thanks,
Akiko