geki eiga vs. bunka eiga?

Chris Howell-Little chl
Thu Jun 27 17:42:11 EDT 2002

Being intrigued by the question of "bunka eiga", I googled around and came
up with this article by Komatsu Hiroshi:

http://www.city.yamagata.yamagata.jp/yidff/docbox/5/box5-1-e.html

And here's part of the first paragraph:

"Most people today possess a vague image regarding "documentary cinema"
(called, in Japanese, "kiroku eiga," or "record cinema"). That term was
first widely used in Japan after the war; in the prewar, the expression
"bunka eiga," a translation from the German "Kulturfilm," was the more
popular term. Both expressions basically referred to the same film form
and content: documentary film and bunka eiga were generally considered
modes which, in opposition to the constructed narrative of dramatic film
performed by actors, transmitted truth and reality - while still bearing
the filmmaker's artistic originality, unlike newsreel cinema..."

I'm not sure that this is of any use, as I'm no expert on anything really
(except maybe "google"-ing), but I thought I would toss it out there
anyway.

Goodluck :)

-Chris