American movies in Japan, subtitles in Europe

Mark Nornes amnornes
Fri Jun 7 13:43:00 EDT 2002

Susanne wrote:

> My theory is (and Japanese friends told me about that) that the Japanese
> audience had and has a very awkward feeling seeing Western foreigners
> speaking fluently Japanese (many of us will have had the same experience
> even now...). This "iwakan" favored subtitles,

I should add, then, that I left a modifier out of "subtitle country" in
my previous post.  The Japanese writer (a subtitler trying to theorize
Japanese subtitling practices) actually wrote, "yuniiku na jimaku no
kuni". These writings often smell of such national chauvinism.

Markus