Anime at the Academy

Aaron Gerow gerow
Tue Jun 11 03:33:40 EDT 2002

Just a note on some related issues.

First, there is a Nihon Animeshon Gakkai, which is in some ways a spin
off of the Nihon Eizo Gakkai, which still has an Animeshon Kenkyukai.

http://www.zokei.ac.jp/jsas/

Interestingly, there is a consciousness in this society that they don't
do enough studies of contemporary anime (the choice of "animation" is
probably significant). Perhaps academic studies meant a certain
marginalization of contemporary commercial animation?

Secondly, last year a Nihon Manga Gakkai was formed. I attended the
founding session. They just had their second annual sokai last weekend,
along with a panel discussion.

http://www.kyoto-seika.ac.jp/hyogen/manga-gakkai.html

Since the society is supported by Kyoto Seika Daigaku, which has a manga
department, there is a definite effort to try to use an academic
background to bring credibility to the medium. At the same time, the
society is consciously trying to avoid being simply academic, and thus
bridging the gaps between academics, private researchers and artists.
(Though my sense at both sokai was that few have thought through the
problems of bridging such gaps. A poorly considered anti-academicism
evident among some members was evidence of that.)

Aaron Gerow
Associate Professor
International Student Center
Yokohama National University