Nippon Academy Awards

Ono Seiko and Aaron Gerow onogerow
Tue Mar 12 01:23:18 EST 2002

Thanks Robin for announcing the awards.  I try to announce all the
various awards, but these last couple of months have been hellishly busy.

I missed the awards, but then I usually try to avoid them.  The awards
are sponsored by the major studios, so independent films are virtually
locked out of them. Except for rare years when the critics like one of
the big studio films (like this year with Go, which Toei released), the
films that win many of the other major awards are usually ignored at the
Nippon Academy Awards. Another reason why the industry has major problems.

I've given my two cents on Go on the list before, but travelling around
the last couple months it was nice to see some strong criticism of that
film and Lily ChouChou appearing in various circles. Don't want to put it
all down, but both films deserve some careful critical attention.

Aaron Gerow
Associate Professor
Yokohama National University