recommendations

Joseph Murphy urj7 at nersp.nerdc.ufl.edu
Sun Nov 3 22:38:25 EST 2002

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations on the theme of "sub/urban
alienation."  We ended up going with A Scene at the Sea (Kitano,
1991) and Giants and Toys (Masumura, 1958), but have all the others
on slate for the future.  Jonathan recommended, in addition to Tsai
Ming-Liang's The Hole, and the Korean film Peppermint Candy, this one:

>And especially since you've written on it, how about Yaguchi's
>Hadashi no pikunikku [Down the Drain], which is also now available
>on DVD with English subtitles.  If "Japan's most unhappy girl" isn't
>alienated, then I don't know what to call her.

I wanted to ask about this because it would not have occurred to me.
I know there is a certain context in which alienation and the unhappy
consciousness necessarily go together (I won't say which, but his
name begins with H), but is there really necessarily a direct
relation between alienation and unhappiness?  I'm interested because
part of the point of an exercise like this of course is to figure out
what alienation is.  I know you were writing off the cuff here, but
any thoughts on that?
By the way, I'm glad to hear you're working on Hashiguchi and Yaguchi
in a context I've sort of resolutely bracketed.  They came out of the
same generation of PFF grand prizewinners (Hashiguchi 1989, Yaguchi
1990), and I've always associated them together.  It's an 8mm
mid-length film, but Hashiguchi's prizewinner, Yûbe no himitsu is
really worth a look. It's about a small group of high-school kids who
sit around one evening and have a drinking party in one of their
houses.  It's really desultory, and in the flow of drunken
conversation, one of them confesses his feelings for the biggest,
most athletic member of the group.  He's okay with it, but the other
kids there, a boy and girl, you can just see them start icing over
and lapsing into cruel ostracism.  He plays this theme out in Nagisa
no sindobaddo, but it's kind of crystallized here, absent the story.
It's very powerful, and gets stunning performances out of what appear
to be amateur actors.
yours,
J. Murphy
--

0198235609813745091283570198345019238457012938
Univ. of Florida