Maeda Tetsu (was Upcoming DVD releases from Japan)

Stephen Cremin asianfilmlibrary at mac.com
Wed Oct 9 21:55:24 EDT 2002

Maeda Tetsu's HAPPY TAIL (Pakodate-jin) screened at the Yubari
International Fantastic Film Festival in February this year and won the
Grand Prix at the Kinder Film Festival (Tokyo) in August this year.
Here's the catalogue synopsis:

"Hikaru is an ordinary high school girl in Hakodate, except she has a
tail.  It appeared one morning and changed her life completely!  While
Hikaru cancels her first date with her classmate, her best friend
approaches him!  Poor girl!  Hikaru's sister and a would-be fashion
designer puts on a handmade cake tale to take Hikaru out.  But gossip
paper HAKODATE SCOOP's reporter takes a "tale shot" of them and panic
Hikaru's family.  Then appears another tail-man!  Mr Furuta - a
Hakodate City Office staff and a single father - is at a loss what to
do with a tail.  Though his daughter innocently amuses herself with his
tail, he worries if she tells her nursery school teacher and Furuta's
love-to-be about it.  By and by tale-panic involves all over
Hakodate..."

Here's the official press release:
http://www.ytv.co.jp/cinema/pakodatejin/english/release1.html

I don't think SWING MAN (or "sWinG maN") is a horror film but I might
be wrong.  Here's what I guess is the official website:
http://www.msec.ne.jp/swingman/

Osaka-born Maeda worked as assistant director for Sai Yoichi, George
Matsuoka, Sugawara Hiroshi and others before debuting in 1998 with the
third episode of omnibus KAWAII HITO, a project supervised by Somai
Shinji.  In addition to SWING MAN in 2000, he also directed GLOW:
BOKURA WA KOKO NI starring Matsuda Miyuki,

Stephen