Koreans in Japanese films

Aaron Gerow gerow at ynu.ac.jp
Thu Oct 10 21:49:29 EDT 2002

>I am thinking of using Family Game (1984), where there seemed to be an
>allusion to the family's ethnic origin, to Go (2001), the full-fledged
>discussion about the Korean identity in Japan. I would greatly appreciate
>any other suggestions about this topic. Thank you.

There are dozens and dozens of films you could deal with here. One place
to start would be Yomota Inuhiko's _Ajia no naka no Nihon eiga_ (Iwanami,
2001), which includes some long discussions of the representation of
Koreans in Japanese film and cites a lot of particular texts. Yomota
focuses in particular on yakuza movies which were some of the first
"mainstream" films to acknowledge the presence of Koreans. Milissa cited
the One Korea site, and that article is written by Monma Takashi, a
critic who makes a specialty of discussing Asian representations of Japan
and Japanese representations of Asians. Looking for more of his articles
will help a lot.

Some additions to the films already mentioned:

Jingi no hakaba
Gaki teikoku
Gama: Getto no hana
Fudoh (and some other Miike films)
Shin Jingi naki tatakai (Sakamoto's version)

There's also a new film coming out: Yo o kakete
(http://www.yoruwo-kakete.com/)

And do be careful about Go. Some on the zainichi community, like Sai
Yoichi, had major problems with it (as did I). Those debates may be
interesting to look into.

Aaron Gerow
Associate Professor
International Student Center