recommendations?

Kukhee Choo chewcookie
Thu Sep 12 00:30:41 EDT 2002

> Anybody have any thoughts on the Gainax mockumentary "Otaku no video"
> (1982)?  Is that worth a look?  Does Takashi Miike's "Audition" usefully
> address the topic, or will it strike the audience as a straight genre film?
> Any other suggestions?
>
> yours,
> J. Murphy

I highly recommend Otaku no video. It gives a wonderful insight of Japanese
otaku anime culture from an insider's point of view unlike Takashi, who is
more
aware and self-conscious of the non-Japanese viewers of his film and builds
upon the more "exotic" nature and perception of Japanese films (I dare make
such a statement!). Yet, Audition is still a wonderfully made film, which I
believe is a commentary on the misogynistic culture of Japan. Considering it
has been written by Murakami Ryu, who I have mixed feelings about, the film
itself seems to have succeeded in making a feminist statement.

K Choo