recommendations?

Jonathan M. Hall jmhall
Thu Sep 19 13:25:49 EDT 2002

Dear Joe,

I wonder if your students might be equally or even more interested in Tsai's
The Hole, easily available on DVD.  The latter is a far more accessible
film, I believe, and is as masterful in its probing of the limits and hopes
of alienated individuals.  The setting is a decrepit sector of Taipei,
abandoned by authorities--water supply is cut off--in an attempt to sanitize
and defend the city against a plague that is turning humans into
cockroach-like anti-social creatures.  The film thematizes well the relation
to the natural environment as well as social forms of marginalization.  And
the campy fantasy scenes are a blast.

And especially since you've written on it, how about Yaguchi's Hadashi no
pikunikku [Down the Drain], which is also now available on DVD with English
subtitles.  If "Japan's most unhappy girl" isn't alienated, then I don't
know what to call her.

The Korean film, Peppermint Candy, also deals with alienation
well--foregrounding an historical alienation.

Jonathan

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Jonathan M. Hall
Department of East Asian Languages and Civilizations
301 Wieboldt Hall
University of Chicago
1050 E. 59th Street, Chicago IL 60637
1-773-834-8346 office tel./messages