more recommendations, different area

Tim Cooke armymoose at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 11 15:51:51 EDT 2002

Hello all.

I was wondering if anyone had thoughts or words of guiding wisdom on English
teaching schools in Japan  that I might apply to so I can finally go and
immerse myself in the real culture that exists beyond eiga! I have
previously applied to JET and intend to do so again, but given the enormous
competition for places on the JET programme I have been looking at
alternatives such as NOVA, AEON, ECC among others. It's difficult to know
what they're like/what sort of reputation they have so if anyone can comment
on the above or the matter in general I would love to hear about it. Yes I
know this isn't a cinema-related topic per se and apologies for that, but it
all ties into me pursuing a career related to Japanese cinema. On a further
note, getting a scholarship of sorts to study as a student in Japan is also
something I am also trying to investigate, something like the Monbusho
scholarship, but I still don't know much about it. And thirdly, in the
not-so-immediate future I would like to pursue a doctorate, perhaps in the
US but pretty much anywhere relevent would hold some appeal for me, and if
anyone had any recommendations about studying Japanese cinema at this kind
of level (ie what universities may cater for this) I would also like to hear
about it. Apologies again for the lengthy three-tiered request and many
thanks to any who choose to reply to it. Cheers, Tim.