New York Film Festival; Ozu retrospective

Bill Thompson siswt at CUVMC.AIS.COLUMBIA.EDU
Mon Aug 25 11:12:38 EDT 2003

Michael, KineJapan,

The Film Society of Lincoln Center has announced the titles
for this year's New York Film Festival.  Unfortunately,
there are no films from Japan, Korea, or PRC in the main body
of the festival.  The only Asia-related films are
Goodbye Dragon Inn (Tasi Ming-liang, Taiwan; Wed., Oct. 15, 6 PM);
PTU (Johnnie To, Hong Kong; Wed., Oct. 15, 9 PM and Thurs.,
Oct. 16 at 6 PM); plus, S21: The Khmer Rouge Killing Machine
(a French documentary on Cambodia), Distant (Nuri Bilge Ceylan,
Turkey), and Crimson Gold (Jafar Panahi, Iran).

The festival of course includes the Ozu Centenary, so Japanese
film enthusiasts shouldn't be too upset about the further lack
of Japanese titles, but still ....

Thanks for all the additional information following
my Ozu posting.  Does Markus or anyone else have more
information on the Ozu book that can be shared?

I'm not sure if Michael realizes this, but his
list of titles covers only the first half of the series,
which is scheduled to run through Nov. 5 or 6.  The listings
through October 17th are simply those which fit comfortably
on Lincoln Center's announcement brochure.

The Ozu restrospective and New York Film Festival schedules
are not available on line.  Details should be available
on their website by September 7th.  Its address:

       www.filmlinc.com

Bill Thompson