Odoru record

iyobe kiwa kiyobe
Sun Aug 24 07:09:36 EDT 2003

I just saw Odoru daisosasen 2 the other day and pretty much share your
students' sentiments--fun but overwrought.  It's basically one long
commercial for Fuji TV.  The Odaiba location speaks for itself, really.
Actually, if I hadn't been entirely convinced I was watching television the
whole time, I would have thought the "film" was intolerable and demanded my
money back.  I didn't pay more than 1000yen for it and I don't think
anybody really should.  It's a bad film, no doubt, but it's not the kind of
bad film that makes you upset about it afterwards.  You get pretty much
what you expect: television actors in television roles.  And that's
probably why the film has been so successful.  When they lay on the
made-for-TV cheese, they lay it on really thick.  As groan-inducing as it
is to watch Oda Yuji's character plead to the camera for more blood donors
to save his wounded partner, you have to admit it works within the overall
TV drama framework.  In fact, I think it's exactly this lack of subtlety
that makes this movie's "badness" excusable.  Had they attempted to be more
cynical about it, they would surely have failed and produced something
strangely inappropriate for both film and television.  This would have been
a disaster considering Odoru 2's key asset seems to be the fact that you
can't distinguish it from TV. (A foolproof way to bring millions of
Japanese couch potatoes to the theater.)

On a different note, Did anybody else find the portrayal of Odaiba in Odoru
2 as the superclean, supermodern face of Tokyo to be a bit disturbing?
There isn't a single scene shot outside of Odaiba and it seemed like the
producers wanted to institute the soulless little artificial island as
representative of how future Tokyo will/should look.  I wouldn't be
surprised if the next blockbuster is shot entirely on location in Roppongi
Hills...