bunraku in film

Bill Thompson siswt at CUVMC.AIS.COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Aug 26 18:33:50 EDT 2003

Chuck, Joanne, KineJapan,

The Kurisaki version of Sonezaki Shinju (Love Suicides at
Sonezaki), as I recall, was shot using the bunraku puppets in
wide-open fields and other natural settings, but did not
include actors.  This artistic rendering was made
just a couple of years after Shinoda's more celebrated version,
and the gifted Miyazaki was quite proud of his work
(I attended the same JS screening roughly twenty years ago).
It is too bad this Love Suicide has been so neglected.

Another film of interest--although it is done without puppets--is
Uchida Tomo's Courier from Hell/Lover's Exile.  The original Chikamatsu
play was originally written for bunraku, then adapted into kabuki.
Uchida's work, from the late 1950's, presents some of the
incidents which were later recounted in the play.  Uchida also
incorporates Chikamatsu into his film, responding to these events,
and thus treats the idea of artistic creativity.
The last part of this work includes footage of a kabuki
performance of the play itself.  (I haven't seen this one
in a couple of decades either.)

The best reference in English to bunraku and kabuki works and the
adaptation of their themes and plots in cinema
(although I suspect it does not answer Chuck's original question)
is Keiko I. McDonald's excellent Japanese Classical Theater in Films
(1994, Fairleigh Dickinson University Press).

Bill Thompson