tasogare seibei

robin at filmfestivals.com robin at filmfestivals.com
Mon Feb 17 11:14:57 EST 2003

Tasogaree Seibei was warmly applauded after the press screening I attended
(I later attended a public screening where  the reaction was just as
favorable)

During the press conference with Yoji Yamada and (great) Min Tanaka, a
sharp-tongued and Japanese-speaking American journalist stated something
like "we are fed up with overblown American films screened in the Berlin
competition, Tasogare Seibei deserves the Golden Bear for its sheer
humanity and humility".

But I guess the film was just "too Japanese" (too mild?) to win any prize
at the festival...

I loved it, by the way.

(a friend of mine complained that the mellow credit song ruins it all! Who
sings that song ?)

Robin