Films about Japanese Red Army and Anarchists

Zeni zeni
Tue Feb 18 18:50:34 EST 2003

Hi Robert,

Thank you for introducing these topics as I'm very interested in them too.
First about JRA. I can only try to list the movies related with this topics
that I can remember. There is the violent Kichiku which deals more with
blood and gore scenes than political facts. The recent Rain of Light seems
very interesting but I didn't watch it yet. Choice of Hercules has a close
link with a famous event related to JRA but is not political at all and
shows the police side only. May you can find some non-explicit links with
JRA in a lot of Koji Wakamatsu movies and in Adachi ones (the latter worked
closely with Wakamatsu).
About Anarchism in Japanese cinema. I don't know much about deeply political
movies on anarchism in Japan. I think I can feel some anarchism in a lot of
movies of the 70s but it's more about provocation and exploitation movies
than real anarchism. So a lot of chambara from Baby Cart to Lady Snowblood
including the Hanzo serie are definitly illustrations of an anarchist spirit
but are not political at all. Three Outlaw Samourai is a good example too.
May be some people will find an anarchist point of view in Sogo Ishii's
movies (especially the first ones) but I do disagree as there is a confusion
between anarchism and punk movements. May be Sogo Ishii does punk movies (in
facts very enjoyable for me) but anarchism is not related at all to his
depiction of juvenile violence (especially in his first movies).

Anyway, if someone knows more about this topic (anarchism in japanese
cinema), I would be deeply interested to learn more !

Stephane.