Japanese Films at Berlin Film Festival

MiriamRohde@aol.com MiriamRohde
Tue Feb 18 20:11:43 EST 2003

Hi everyone,

I would like to share some of my impressions from this year?s Berlin Film
Festival. I have seen ?Last Scene" (Nakata Hideo), ?Ogawa Pro Homon ki"
(Oshige Junichiro), ?Tasogare Seibei" (Yamada Yoji), ?Aji" (Ying Li),
?Bokun?chi" (Sakamoto Junji), and ?Koufuku no kane" (Sabu) (probably all
Japanese movies except for ?Borderline" (Lee Sang-il)). I think, that
?Koufuku no kane" was the only innovative Japanese Fiction Film of the
Festival, less in terms of the film?s style than its narrative structure. So
it comes as little surprise that it is also the only one receiving an award
for the best contribution from Asia. This doesn?t mean that I was impressed
by the movie. The acting was fine and the idea for the narrative was
intelligent and funny, but it didn?t touch me emotionally, and I would like a
good movie to appeal to me intellectually and emotionally as well.

To my impression, the audience liked ?Tasogare Seibei" very much, and so did
I (although I must agree that the last song did destroy the whole impression
quite a bit). Some comments I grabbed up right after the screening found
?Tasogare Seibei" a very thoughtful and beautiful picture. One of Berlin?s
major newspapers ?Tagesspiegel" had a very favourable review, drawing on the
films comments on modern life: single father with ?Alzheimer? mother, and
the question, if childcare and homekeeping is a means to pacify/domesticate
men and thus prevent war...But ?Tasogare Seibei" started in the competition
for the major award - the only Japanese film in this section - and this
year?s competition was obviously very much concerned with social and
political commitments of the movies. So I think, ?Tasogare Seibei" just
wasn?t political enough to be considered for an award.

As for the other feature films, they were all nice to watch but not really
thrilling. The documentary ?Aji" provided a lesson in Japanese-Chinese
history, cooking and modern Chinese culture, but as for the narrative and
film stile it didn?t really appeal to me. Other commentaries were divers,
from ?one of the most interesting films of the Festival" to ?narrative
structure too constructed" and ?bad camera style". ?Ogawa Pro Homon ki" is
over 20 years old, but doesn?t seem to have lost actuality. Questions focused
on the living conditions of the Ogawa team, on what has happened since to
rural life in Japan, and on specifics of the production (how the idea for the
movie came up, how many cameras were used etc.). The Festival bureau plans to
make the dialogue between Ogawa and Oshima available as text in English,
because many in the audience regretted that they couldn?t follow the
subtitles well.

Did anyone see ?Borderline"?