Ogawa - Subtitles in Berlin

MiriamRohde@aol.com MiriamRohde
Thu Feb 20 07:51:28 EST 2003

Dear all, dear Aaron
I don't really think the problem was bad subtitles. Personally, I was not in
a position to judge, because I was too busy trying to keep up with Owaga
talking. However, I think that people having to rely on the subtitles had
even more trouble keeping up, especially as the subtitles tended to come in
rather long lines.
It could also well be that they shortend the texts, in order to make them fit
without completely dominating the frame.
Besides, the subjects that Ogawa and Oshima talked about were abstract at
times, so that it might have been difficult to see, read and think
simultaneously.
In fact, I wonder more generally if such an excess of dialogue or backstory
might not negatively affect the perception of the quality of a subtitled
foreign language movie, simply because the audience hardly begins to
understand the issues. Could this have been the problem with "KT" for
instance, which seems to have had some success in Japan, whereas it was a
complete flop in Berlin last
year?
Any comments?
Miriam