self intro

Zeni zeni
Mon Feb 24 19:25:48 EST 2003

Kichiku was re-released some weeks ago (director's cut) in Japan and I think was released before by Japan Shock.
In fact, if the event on which the movie is based is true, Kichiku puts an emphasis on the gore/bloody scenes. I felt it was quite boring for a while but the last part is quite impressive when everybody run into madness. I didn't feel the film was politic at all (may be that's all the point !) and was closer to a horror movie (may be as far as the ANL serie or the first Guinea Pig can be considered as horror movies) than anything else. If you like this kind of movies, Kichiku is quite enjoyable.

zeni

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
[mailto:owner-KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu]On Behalf Of Darrell
Davis
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 7:07 AM
To: kinejapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Subject: self intro

To Kinejapan member:

This is Darrell Davis writing from Australia. Like Urashima Taro I have
been on hiatus from the list for awhile. Hisashiburi. I am about to
start a new semester teaching J-film, and will invite students to
discover the world of Kinejapan.

Very glad to see some discussion of Kitano's new work. Would anyone know
how to access the documentary Jam Session (Shinozaki Makoto) about the
making of Kikujiro?

BTW wasn't there a thread going about Asama sanso and the Rengo sekigun?
Has anyone seen the independent Kichiku dai enkai (Kumakiri Kazuyoshi,
1997)? The HK festival catalogue states the "'Banquet for Demonic
Beasts' are a group of 1970s ultra-leftists, who descend into paranoia,
madness and internal purging . . . . A saturnalia of carnality and sick
torture with enough excess to make Pasolini wince. Old lefties are in an
uproar. But they miss the point . . . ."

Sounds perfectly awful