self intro

Darrell Davis d.davis at unsw.edu.au
Mon Feb 24 17:07:05 EST 2003

To Kinejapan member:

This is Darrell Davis writing from Australia. Like Urashima Taro I have
been on hiatus from the list for awhile. Hisashiburi. I am about to
start a new semester teaching J-film, and will invite students to
discover the world of Kinejapan.

Very glad to see some discussion of Kitano's new work. Would anyone know
how to access the documentary Jam Session (Shinozaki Makoto) about the
making of Kikujiro?

BTW wasn't there a thread going about Asama sanso and the Rengo sekigun?
Has anyone seen the independent Kichiku dai enkai (Kumakiri Kazuyoshi,
1997)? The HK festival catalogue states the "'Banquet for Demonic
Beasts' are a group of 1970s ultra-leftists, who descend into paranoia,
madness and internal purging . . . . A saturnalia of carnality and sick
torture with enough excess to make Pasolini wince. Old lefties are in an
uproar. But they miss the point . . . ."

Sounds perfectly awful