Dim

Aaron Gerow gerow at ynu.ac.jp
Wed Jul 9 03:08:50 EDT 2003

>Does anyone know why this practice was followed and if there was any legal
>basis, has it been removed?

I know there was a legal basis for this in prewar exhibition regulations.
For instance, the 1917 Tokyo moving picture regulations stipulated that
there be enough light so that the faces of the spectators could be
clearly distinguished. Since these regulations also had provisions
requiring separate seating for men and women as well as authorizing a
special seat for a police officer in the back, one can relate this
regulation to fears about sexuality, the desire to control spectators
through sight, as well as to a general phobia about what kind of things
lone spectators were thinking and doing in the dark (light helping
spectators remember they are members of a public with public
responsibilities).

I have not done research in postwar theater regulations, so I too would
be curious about the requirements in this regard. Many theaters are
annoyingly well-lit, but there are many which try to darken the theater
as much as possible.

Aaron Gerow
Associate Professor
International Student Center