Waseda manga collection

joseph murphy urj7 at nersp.nerdc.ufl.edu
Thu Jul 24 13:44:28 EDT 2003

In the meantime, I highly recommend Ohio State University's Cartoon
Research Library.  They have complete back issues of Garo and a number
of other seminal magazines, complete collected works of major manga
artists, original drawings, cels, etc.  It's quite impressive,
especially if you've worked on this in Japan, and you know holdings can
be quite scattered.  I'm not sure what their holdings are exactly, but
it should be a starting point for anyone seriously working in manga in
the US.  Another advantage is the Japanese collection is only a part of
the CRL, situated in a larger cartoon context including major american
cartoonists back to the early 20th century.  It's a good facility too,
very hospitable to visiting scholars.  Check
	http://www.lib.ohio-state.edu/cgaweb/
for more details and information about visiting.
yours,
J. Murphy

On Thursday, Jul 24, 2003, at 12:53 US/Eastern, Jonathan M. Hall wrote:

> The evening edition of the 18 July 2003 Asahi Shinbun reports the
> establishment at Waseda University of a manga collection for academic
> and
> archival purposes. The collection includes key comics from the
> 1960-70s as
> well as other periods.  Titles include GARO and COMIC BAKU.  There are
> plans
> to widen the collection in future years to include anime.   The
> collection
> is still small with only 1000 titles, but the institutional support of
> the
> University might make this place a significant source in future years.

University of Florida
Grinter Hall 470
Gainesville, FL 32611-5565
(352) 392-2110