Minnesota Dojinshi Collection

Mark Anderson ander025
Thu Jul 24 15:17:37 EDT 2003

I should mention that the E. Asian Collection in the Wilson Library at the University of Minnesota has recently reached an agreement with the dojinshi market in Japan to begin collecting annual dojinshi catalogs and supporting materials. Thanks to Dan  Kanemitsu, a translator of anime and manga who lives in the area and has done extensive research on dojinshi, we now have catalogs from the last ten years, about 75 mid to late-1990s dojinshi, and most importantly, a historically comprehensive anniversary edition of the marketplace catalog.

                                                                                                                                                          Mark Anderson

----- Original Message -----
  From: joseph murphy
  To: KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
  Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 12:44 PM
  Subject: Re: Waseda manga collection

  In the meantime, I highly recommend Ohio State University's Cartoon Research Library. They have complete back issues of Garo and a number of other seminal magazines, complete collected works of major manga artists, original drawings, cels, etc. It's quite impressive, especially if you've worked on this in Japan, and you know holdings can be quite scattered. I'm not sure what their holdings are exactly, but it should be a starting point for anyone seriously working in manga in the US. Another advantage is the Japanese collection is only a part of the CRL, situated in a larger cartoon context including major american cartoonists back to the early 20th century. It's a good facility too, very hospitable to visiting scholars. Check
  http://www.lib.ohio-state.edu/cgaweb/
  for more details and information about visiting.
  yours,
  J. Murphy