Dim

Peter Grilli grilli
Thu Jul 10 14:22:22 EDT 2003

Markus,
Thanks for your interesting anecdote about the improvised Yamagata theater,
which I hadn't known about.  It must have been the site of wonderful events
at that 1993 festival!
I was also amused by your note that the green exit signs mysteriously
malfunctioned during the film screenings.
Various friends of mine in Japanese theaters (underground and above-ground)
have shown me their favorite improvised masks or other covers for blocking
those green exit signs whenever they need a really dark auditorium.  (I hope
no one is passing on this correspondence to any local Japanese fire
inspectors.)

All best,
Peter

  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
[mailto:owner-KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu]On Behalf Of Mark Nornes
  Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 8:34 AM
  To: KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
  Subject: Re: Dim

  Back at the 1993 Yamagata International Documentary Film Festival,
Daishima Haruhiko and I built a theater from scratch for a program on First
Nations film and video. We borrowed a parking lot across from the main
theater, and created a theater out of heavy plumbing piping and canvas. It
looked pretty good, with a theater-in-the-round structure around an irori, a
music stage, a battery of every kind of projector, and Ainu kimono and
religious fetishes decorating the walls. Outside, we painted the canvas,
built a tower, and lined the entranceway with yatai. There were two
problems. One was that it got a little cold at night. The other was that the
fire inspectors were incredibly hard on us, so I can tell you with great
certainty that there are strict rules out there about having WELL-LIT fire
exits. It was painful to hang these conventional green fire exit signs next
to our exits. Once the festival was underway, they mysteriously stopped
working.

  At the same time, there were no regulations about keeping lights up. And
if Kyoto has dispensed with lit exit signs, then it suggests that the
regulations are local.

  Markus