Chaplin

Kathryn Millard kmillard
Sat Jul 26 19:09:12 EDT 2003

            Hi Joanne,

Yes, I am interested in Chaplin imitators as well.  I am just returning
to this project after a long haul making  a film so have not yet got
hold of your book, although I have read about it with considerable
interest.  Thanks a lot.

            Kathryn

            Dr. Kathryn Millard
            Senior Lecturer in Screenwriting,
            Department of Media
            Macquarie University

-----Original Message-----
From: Bernardi-Buralli [mailto:dburall1 at rochester.rr.com]
Sent: Sunday, 27 July 2003 3:10 AM
To: kmillard at ozemail.com.au
Subject: FW: Introduction

Hi Kathryn,

I'm not sure this is what you are looking for, but there were Chaplin
imitators in Japan too. I have a picture of a popular one in my book,
_Writing in Light: The Silent Scenario and the Japanese Pure Film
Movement_ (Wayne State University Press, 2001) : p. 117 has a pic of
"The 'Japanese Chaplin'" Nakajima Iwajiro (Koyo), in a 1919 publication.
At the time he was working with Toyo Film Co. I just checked my index
and I do have an entry for Chaplin. I now I translated at least one
quote about the popularity of his work, and wrote on the popularity of
Chaplin specifically and American comedy in general in Japan especially
in the mid-teens. THis might be interesting for you.

best,
Joanne

Joanne Bernardi
University of Rochester