Shonen sarutabi Sasuke on US TV

Mark Nornes amnornes
Wed Jul 30 15:28:46 EDT 2003

Hi,

Michael Arnold just showed me this link:

http://www.cartoonresearch.com/comments.html

TCM will be broadcasting one of my favorite Toei Doga films, Shonen
sarutabi Sasuke. This is actually a film that draws on traditional
(read "old") styles of drawing, including Nihonga. There are even
backgrounds that use gold leaf. It's really stunning to look at. Check
it out:

Markus

7/30/03 - MAGIC BOY on TCM!

The Phantom Tollbooth
Turner Classic Movies has been my favorite TV channel for a while now.
It's a model of how to respect and present classic films. It's
programming is done with care, it's promo's and I.D.'s have class and
wit, and the network never talks down to its audience.
They even show rare shorts and cartoons, on occasion, between features.
Their aren't many animated films in the MGM/UA/Turner/Warner/etc.
library they own - but two of them (possibly the only two?) will be
airing on TCM in September.
Chuck Jones' THE PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH will be screened September 1st at
6am EST, and it's certainly worth a look if you haven't seen it. I'm
not a big fan of TOLLBOOTH, but I can't deny Maurice Noble's splendid
art direction, animation by many of our favorite veterans and great
voice work by Mel Blanc, June Foray, Les Tremayne, Daws Butler, and
Hans Conreid.

Magic Boy
An even more exciting event, for me, will be screened on Monday
September 8th. MAGIC BOY, the first anime feature ever released in the
U.S. (release date June 22, 1961) will be broadcast, in letterbox
format.
First off, as a former MGM/UA employee (as film booker, later video
programmer) I was unaware MGM/UA (now Turner/Warners) still owned the
rights! In fact, being me, I researched this years ago and was told the
rights reverted back to Toei in the 1970s.
I don't know what happened, but I'm happy to report that Turner has
restored this title to its library - and unless I'm told otherwise (and
I'm sure some of you will write in to update me) this is the first
television broadcast of this film I'm aware of. It's certainly the
first broadcast in letterbox format. And It certainly hasn't been
released on video.
The last time I saw MAGIC BOY was under its original Japanese title
(Shonen Sarutobi Sasuke) and language at UCLA two years ago and found
it to be a lot of fun. I don't recall the English dub, but I highly
recommend you watch (and record) this rarely shown feature.
MAGIC BOY screens at 8:30am Eastern Time on Monday September 8th. For
more information on a teriffic schedule of movies, check out the
September Schedule on the TCM website.