Spirited Away

mark schilling 0934611501 at jcom.home.ne.jp
Mon Mar 24 08:10:47 EST 2003

Jonathan is right in wanting to see animation treated with more respect by
the Academy and the film world at large. I don't, however, see "Spirited
Away"s animation Oscar as a consolation prize, but the highest honor
Hollywood can bestow -- with the emphasis on "can."

Fact: Animators deserve more recognition than they commonly get.

Fact: If their films are included in the Best Picture category they will get
recognition in the form of an Oscar maybe once every twenty-five or fifty
years -- maybe. Entire generations of animators will grow old and gray
before one of their number gets his or her 45 seconds at the awards podium.

Put these two facts together and you have the case for an animation Oscar.
The documentary folks are in the same boat, but are any demanding inclusion
in the Best Picture category?

In the real world, you can only play the hand you're dealt -- and animators
are always going to be drawing for that inside straight.

Mark Schilling
schill at gol.com