TIFF

mark schilling 0934611501 at jcom.home.ne.jp
Thu Nov 13 08:45:47 EST 2003

Aaron asked for comments on the Tokyo International Film Festival.

Here's a link to my festival wrap piece in "The Japan Times":

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?ff20031112a1.htm

The quality of the competition was appallingly bad, with half the films
either outright awful ("The Omen"), blatantly commercial ("Calendar Girls)
or a mix of the two. I wasn't the only one who thought so -- at the closing
party I talked with two jurors who said the jury was "furious" with the
competition selection.

They also said that the jury was sharply divided over the Grand Prix, with
Gong Li with supporting Ryuichi Hiroki's "Vibrator" and Irvin Kershner and
Takashige Ichise strongly opposed. They finally compromised on "Nuan." I had
half expected Ichise to nix "Vibrator" -- it's the antithesis of everything
he's made.

I wonder the TIFF was thinking when they invited a producer best known for
his horror flicks ("The Ring," "The Grudge") to be on the jury in the first
place? Yet another of its many genuflections toward the altar of the box
office?

Mark Schilling