one more Banshun query

Trond Trondsen trondsen
Thu Nov 6 23:10:12 EST 2003

> While some of you seem to be busy trying to overcome the distance in time
> between now and the late 1940s in order to understand every detail of Ozu's
> Banshun, maybe someone can help me out and explain what the 'Mikawashima
> dai-ippan' in the same movie refers to and why it is so funny.

Yes, that's utterly hilarious (at least to the Japanese).

Ms. Shinosa is quitting work at the broadcast station
- to become a bride.
[Lit.: "go to a certain place to become a bride"]
Where to? To Mikawajima dai ippan
[Lit.: Unit One Mikawajima (the name of a place)].

Now, Ms. Shinoda's nickname is Sukesodara.
Sukesodara = Alaska Pollock.
The Alaska Pollock has a long chin - it looks quite serious and grave.
Ms. Shinoda has a long chin,... and a "square" character.
Aya makes the association: A square woman like her goes
to a square, official place like a military unit,... even to get married!

--

The Banshun script (illegally published, presumably):
http://www.01.246.ne.jp/~tnoumi/noumi1/books/banshun.html

--

Frako, that term in Japanese is (in romanji): "Tunagatta takuan"

Best,

Trond
http://www.mastersofcinema.org
  Trond S. Trondsen trondsen at phys.ucalgary.ca ve6nor at amsat.org
  Institute for Space Research (ISR), Calgary, Alberta, Canada