Fwd: Japanese film in post-Occupation Taiwan

stephanie deboer sdeboer at usc.edu
Tue Oct 7 19:41:42 EDT 2003

Greetings all:

I (as well) don't have all my research materials with me, but I conferred with a colleague, and these are the dates we've got:

1964: an organization called something like the "motion picture association" decided not to show any Japanese film

1973: the government placed a ban on Japanese film

1978: (November) Japanese songs were totally prohibited in all public places

1984: (January) the ban was lifted and the government reopened the import
market to Japanese film

In terms of recent history, then, Japanese films have been shown in Taiwan since 1984.  I believe the ban from 1973 up to then was quite comprehensive.  But for the post-war time period before then, I'm not quite sure of the extent and consistency of Taiwan's policies and restrictions on Japanese film.

As a side note, Japanese productions were not officially allowed to be shown on television in Taiwan until about a decade and a half ago (again, specific dates escape me, and I have no referenc
e materials with me).

Hope this information doesn't come too late to be helpful.

Stephanie DeBoer