von Sternberg's 'Morocco' in Japan?

Mark Nornes amnornes
Sat Oct 4 19:31:47 EDT 2003

This certainly was shown in the 1930s. I don't have the date handy, but
it was very shortly after the US premiere. I know because it is often
remembered as the first Japanese film ever subtitled. I've written
about this in an article entitled "For an Abusive Subtitling" in Film
Quarterly (a new and improved version of this will appear in the new
edition of the  Routledge Translation Studies Reader this year). I'll
include some quotes below.

I'm dying to get a hold of a print of this to check out the Japanese
version.

Markus

However, the method that became standard operating procedure was the
superimposed (sub)title--in parentheses because they were not always at
the bottom of the frame. Within a year or two of the talkie's public
appearance, the major studios brought translators to New York to
subtitle the latest films. This included Shimizu Shunji and Tamura
Yukihiko, who conducted the first translation with film subtitles in
Japanese. The film was von Sternberg's Morocco, and this is Tamura's
description of the process:

First of all, the first problem we encountered was whether to use
vertical or horizontal lines. For this, I performed various
experiments. In the case of vertical lines, three-and-a-half feet of
film were required to read one line with 12 characters. However, we
found that if we printed the same line horizontally it would be
impossible to read without five or more feet. Besides the decision to
print vertically, we had to decide to put the subtitle on the right or
left side. It was impossible to settle on a position. We'd put them on
the right to avoid covering something on the left and vice versa. So we
watched previews and investigated the problem scene by scene.... About
30 cards per reel was the limit. We were careful to avoid showing the
embarrassing sight of titles from one scene running over into the next.
(Tanaka, 1980, 207)

[snip]

Shimizu Shunji recently acquired the ken'etsu daihon of Morocco. His
analysis is predictably superficial, but provides a useful starting
point for exploring the real history of Japanese subtitles. Shimizu
counts 297 subtitles in Tamura's version. Tamura's original translation
used only 234, but after seeing a test print he felt the extra 63
titles were necessary. (9) Throughout his books, Shimizu often notes
that before the war subtitlers used somewhere between a half and a
third of the subtitles used today. With Morocco's ken'etsu daihon in
hand, he attempts to find the difference. First, he parses the scenario
according to today's standards and decides his own count would come to
492. Then he counts Kikuji Hiroshi's postwar subbing of the film, which
uses 491. Finally, he compares Kikuji's and Tamura's actual
translations, concluding that outside of a few old kanji, excessively
long subtitles, and Tamura's choice not to translate Dietrich's songs,
there is no significant difference.

I find this a rather startling conclusion. Putting the actual
translation of words aside for the moment, the difference between 297
and 492 strongly suggests we are dealing with two very dissimilar
conceptions of translation. Shimizu was pursuing the wrong questions.
Rather than wondering about the phrasing of individual titles, he
should have been asking, "If Tamura chose to subtitle only half of the
utterances, then what exactly was he translating? What was the object
of translation?"

[snip]

The conception of translation in the talkie period circulated between
two poles, between a sense-for-sense hermeneutic search for, and
transmission of, meaning, and a curious form of translation of
language's material qualities (or a choice not to translate underpinned
by the same values). The reason for this indeterminacy lies in the
historical moment. We can detect as much from an article about the
subtitling of Morocco which Tamura published ten days before the film's
public release: "This time, there was the fear that with too few
subtitles, the meaning would not come through. At least, I thought that
it was necessary to use the same number of titles as silent movies.
Spanish and Portuguese subtitles used far too many subtitles, more than
400 subtitles for one film. However, because Japanese audiences are
sensitive to the feelings of films, I believed it was unnecessary to
attach more than 30 subtitles per reel." (Tamura, 1931) This is an
approach to translation that relies on a conception of cinema grounded
in the silent era.