Japanese film in post-Occupation Taiwan

Mark Nornes amnornes
Wed Oct 8 11:15:10 EDT 2003

I asked around, and got this message from Yingjin Zhang:

Dear Markus,
?
I saw your posting to the CCL.? Yes, Taiwan banned Japanese imports
periodically, e.g., in the immediate postwar and in the early 1960s.?
Even when the imports were allowed, there were strict regulations as to
how many prints were circulated, for how long and how large the
newspaper ads could be.? Ironically, such resentment from the
leadership did not prevent the KMT studios from making coproductions
with Japan some times, though.? Japan was treated as a special case in
many cases, but so far I have not seen a clear chart of the years of
bans and non-bans.? Hope this is useful to you.
?
Many thanks and best regards.

Yingjin