Gaijin perspective.

Peter M. Grilli grilli at us-japan.org
Fri Apr 2 00:20:48 EST 2004

I'd like to recommend a number of other documentaries on Japan -- some of
which I've personally worked on, and some I simply admire for their
excellence.  Some of them are not exactly "recent" -- but their age doesn't
detract at all from the value.

HELLFIRE: A Journey from Hiroshima  (directed by John Junkerman & John
Dower)  (1986)

THE AMERICAN VERSION (directed by Louis Alvarez & Andy Kolker)

DREAM WINDOW: Reflections on the Japanese Garden  (directed by John
Junkerman; script by me;  Smithsonian Instituteion, 1992)

KUROSAWA (a 2-hour special bio-documentary on Akira Kurosawa; produced by
BBC & WNET for PBS' "Great Performances,"  2001;
directed by Adam Low; Producer: Margaret Smilow. I was a co-producer)

MUSIC FOR THE MOVIES:  TORU TAKEMITSU  (directed by Charlotte Zwerin, 1993;
I was co-producer with Margaret Smilow)

SHINTO: Nature, Gods and Man in Japan  (produced by Japan Society, NY;
directed by David Westphal & me, 1978)

More information about nearly all these films can be found on the Internet
Movie Data Base (http://www.imdb.com )  or at
Asian Educational Media Service  (http://www.aems.uiuc.edu )

In the list below, the director of the fine documentary THE INLAND SEA
(based on Donald Richie's travel-memoir) should correctly by Lucille Carra.

Hope this helps.

Peter Grilli