classic film on the big screen subtitled...

Tom Mes china_crisis at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 9 09:21:26 EDT 2004

>they should better be watched without subtitles, because subtitles very
>much
>spoil the beautifully de-centered compositions of the pictures.

I'd really like to second Roland's suggestion of watching films without
subtitles. It is an extremely educational and useful experience to watch
films in a foreign language without the aid of subtitles. Not that I'm
saying we should forget about subtitling, not at all, but cinema is at heart
a visual (though today audiovisual) art form. Any filmmaker who has talent
and knows what he's doing will try to communicate as much as he can visually
rather than by means of dialogue.

Not having subtitles really forces you as a viewer to pay attention to the
cinematic aspects of cinema, which subtitles can distract you from, and that
is a very educational experience indeed. In the early days of the French
Cinematheque, Henri Langlois intentionally showed his audiences foreign
films without subtitles or he would even turn off the sound altogether, in
order to teach them the language of cinema rather than the language coming
out of the actors' mouths.

I'm all for good subtitled releases, but I really believe you shouldn't pass
up the chance to see a good director's work just because it doesn't have
subtitles.

Tom Mes

Midnight Eye
http://www.midnighteye.com