Film director arrested

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Fri Apr 16 17:35:52 EDT 2004

> Good question.  Does Shintaro Katsu count (he had at
> least one film under his belt)?  I seem to recall he
> had some trouble with the law, but don't remember if
> he was arrrested or not.  Perhaps those involved in
> the student movements during the late '60s or early
> '70s?  Maybe Koji Wakamatsu?  Hmmmmmmmmm...

That's right, there is Katsushin, was was arrested in 1990 for
possession of marijuana. He actually directed 3 films, so that should
count. There probably were some student filmmakers arrested in the
1960s, but the cameraman Otsu Koshiro is the only big name I remember.
(Of course, much later Adachi Masao got arrested in Lebanon and was put
on probation after a trail in Japan.)

I don't think Wakamatsu was ever arrested, but that does remind me that
there were some directors indicted for obscenity, particularly
Yamaguchi Seiichiro (of the Nikkatsu Roman Porno case) and Takechi
Tetsuji (of the Kuroi yuki case).

One could also include some of the members of Prokino in the early
1930s. Kimura Sotoji got in trouble for his strike activities in the
1930s, and was in a labor camp for a time after the war in China, but I
don't think he ever got arrested in Japan.

Aaron Gerow
Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University
53 Wall Street, Room 316
PO Box 208363
New Haven, CT 06520-8363