Hiroshima in Japanese film, and natsukashi melodies

Gavin Rees Gavin.Rees
Tue Apr 20 11:30:34 EDT 2004

Dear all,

It has been a while since I have posted I am afraid:  for the last year
or so I have been hovering in a fairly peripheral orbit. Apologies for
the vicarious pleasures of reading, but not posting. (But besides direct
experience of the inner workings of Japanese TV news, I have not had
much to contribute.)

I have just started working on a BBC documentary about Hiroshima, which
is being made for the 60th anniversary next year.

I am interested in trying to find out how Japanese documentarists and
dramatists have dealt with the issue since the war. Exlcuding the
obvious Imamura/Kurosawa/Resnais stuff, and the leads that Markus
mentions in his excellent book on Japanese Documentary, does anybody
have any recommendations, for interesting work, particularly Japanese in
origin?

I am also very keen to see if I can find a good fan site for Japanese
music of the 1940s, or somebody who might be able to give me a good
steer on what Hiroshima might have sounded like before the bomb.

Best wishes,

Gavin Rees

BBCi at http://www.bbc.co.uk/

stated.